Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Goal Setting for Weight Loss or Fitness Results

    I was reevaluating my goals this morning and trying to figure out what I need to do to reach my next set of goals. This got me thinking about goals and why we should set them. Wikipedia defines goals as "a desired result a person or a system envisions, plans and commits to achieve a personal or organizational desired end point in some sort of assumed development. Many people endeavor to reach goals within a finite time by setting deadlines."

   So why set goals for weight loss? Goals are important for any tasks in life, but essential in weight loss. Why though? Because it helps to keep you accountable to yourself and what you want. I didn't know this 5 years ago when I begin my weight loss/fitness journey. If I had, I think that I would have reached my goal much sooner then I did.

   When setting your goals for weight loss, you have to be specific with it. For example, I wanted to lose 20lbs when I first started my journey, but I didn't set a specific time frame and therefore it took me several years just to lose 20 lbs. I did it without a deadline. I knew what I wanted, but I didn't have a specific time frame in mind so therefore I didn't push myself or hold myself accountable to my end goal. I have finally reached my end result of losing 30 lbs, but took me much longer then desired.

    When I started a new weight loss support group. I always ask the challengers to set a goal weight loss and a time frame. If we started today and they wanted to lose 10 lbs I would ask them to pick a time frame they wanted to lose this weight by. Some say by the end of the challenge or within 45 days which would be the half way point. I help to hold them accountable to their goal.



    When you want to lose weight set a goal, and be specific with it. Say I want to lose ____ lbs by ____ date and be realistic. You won't lose 50 lbs in a month, but you could in 6 months! Set miniature goals to achieve larger weight loses. If it is 50 lbs say I will lose 10 lbs by 30 days from now. Next step, write it down on several sticky notes or pieces of paper and put it in places where you will see it everyday. For example, on the pantry, the refrigerator, the bathroom mirror, the dashboard of your car, your desk at work, and any place where you will see it often! It helps to see it so when you want to sneak that cookie and you see that note, it will help to hold you accountable to your goal and the time frame in which you want to reach it.


    Do you need help to reach your goal weight? Do you need help setting those goals? Follow me at www.facebook.com/nicolemcduffiesfitness and message me there or at fitnic13@aol.com. My coaching is always free! I would love to help get you started on reaching your dream weight and goals!


Nicole McDuffie
Independent BeachBody Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment